Thursday, November 11, 2010

Real Vs. Ideal: Summer in Autumn






This first portrait tries to capture the "ideal." Summer is a woman. She appears to be in the kitchen cleaning, properly owning her role as a female. This of course is the ideal: what we should aspire to be. She is aware that she is being looked at as female subjects have been in the greater part of art history. Her expression seems to say "Hurry up. You're distracting me from my job. I really need to get back to work." All of this works together to capture Summer's fulfillment of her Biblical duty: the ideal.



(kidding, kidding)

This second portrait (our ACTUAL "ideal") seeks to capture the what we seem to strive for in today's society. This portrait is still somewhat of a parody of the ideal. Summer is aware of the viewer, which hearkens back to much of art history's take on gender roles. She is placed in a position that is "pretty" for pictures, but would probably be awkward to maintain comfortably for a longer period of time. She is obviously posed, but not in an outrageous, dramatic, Lady Gaga-esque position, so as to "appear natural."

The third portrait seeks to capture the "real." Summer is relaxed as she is talking to her friends who she brought along with her for part of the shoot. It seems that she is almost unaware of the camera. She is not placed in some glamorous-but-awkward position with a gentle breeze blowing through her hair. Nor is she casting a sultry gaze at the viewer. She is simply Summer. This photo shows that even the "real" moment can be captured and still be a thing of beauty.


2 comments:

  1. As the sitter of these photos, I really like that the black-and-white photo captured me when I was relaxed and in the midst of talking with friends. I find it interesting that with the white background even I don't know where I am located or sitting. It's a very weird experience to look one's own self, to have an image of what I look like on a daily basis when I'm paying attention to someone or distracted by something other than the camera.

    The color photo of me sitting in the chair initially reminded me of a high school senior photo, as if I had been told how to sit and how to place my hands and how to smile. In this photo I was much more aware of being photographed, I was thinking about my smile. Although I didn't have any idea how the picture was turning out in the camera, I was very keenly aware of the process of being photographed.

    As for the third picture, the color photo of me standing in the kitchen. Obviously the photographer is not a chauvinist and I am not simply a docile weak-willed little girl. This photo was meant to be a parody. Just so everyone knows.

    ReplyDelete